Monday, August 15, 2011

My Noodle Feast and Dong Bei dumplings


frequent trips to binondo led me to try three of the best noodle soup in the area. they're the best according to reviews and other blogs. note: except for lan zhou and dong bei, i ate on three different days. i'm not that of a glutton.

Masuki Original Noodles (P120 small bowl)

If you're alone, stick it out with the small bowl of noodles. This is the best I like among the three in this blog. This is the original Ma Mon Luk but tastes better. There's a way to eat this. Scatter the chives on the soup. Raise some noodles, pour over the siopao sauce, and shovel in the mouth. I've learned to use my left hand for the spoon and my right hand for the chopsticks. I've also mastered eating golf-ball size siomai (compact with pork) with the chopsticks (not poking but really holding on with the two sticks)

Masuki is along Benavidez, right side, and closer to Severino Paredes.




Wai Ying Roasted Duck Noodles (P130)

Chunks of duck in this soup. Yummy but a bit oily. Still good soup. I tried the radish cake but there's nothing to rave about that. However, I will go back for the roasted duck, congee, and hakaw.

Wai Ying is along Benavidez. It's painted blue.




Lan Zhou Beef Noodles (P120)

I wasn't given the bowl of greens but it didn't matter. The beef flavor is very good, along with the hand-pulled noodles. Mix first so the essence of the beef rises to the top. Add a bit of aged vinegar to taste. The dumplings were being ordered frequently so I will try that later.

Lan Zhou is along Benavides and near the corner of Salazar.



Dong Bei steamed dumplings (P100/14 pieces; P200 per 31 pieces frozen for take home)

Don't mind the disorganized place. This is more of a dumpling-making joint than an eating spot. However, the kutchay dumplings are the best so far. They're subtle in taste and are freshly made. I tried the pan-fried pancake version and I didn't like it as much as the steamed. I brought the frozen pack and they're fun to steam as they don't stick with each other. Don't be deceived by the number and size, you won't notice you're down to the last two dumplings.

Dong Bei is along Yuchengco street. (turn left if you're coming from the church side)


Labels: , , , , ,