Tuesday, July 17, 2012

The Hunger Season 2

My subconscious remembers "The Hunger," not the movie but the series. I must have come across it through my readings and completely forgotten about it until I came across its DVD.

After American Horror Story, I just finished season 2 of "The Hunger." I caught on because it's bizarre!  The stories are bloody, gruesome, mad, desirable, lustful - basic needs to be satisfied. "Hunger" for as the opening video says.

Except for David Bowie, who acts as the Host and a former painter who took his reality art a bit too far (mutilation of bodies, including his), and Giovanni Ribisi in the first episode, no one looks familiar. Oh, there's that fisher dude, who's always a jerk in his movie roles, and an overweight obese (no kidding) William Katt! I love William Katt when he was 100 lbs lighter in The Greatest American Hero. There's Jennifer Beals in her best (after Flashdance, before L Word).

The characters in all the stories do not get any form or remorse except for the episode with the archangel Michael. I liked "The Perfect Couple" but I thought it could have had a better ending - like both the dying husband and wife could hear the last lines that they still love each other despite hearing each other's thoughts.

Another thing I like about the series is that it was made from 1999 to 2000, that turn of the millennium, the time when everything was unsure. The series makes Dexter, CSI, and other genres that border on the mysterious and murderous lame. Nothing beats writing episodes from short stories.


I wonder if I'll finally face the mentalist or go with Dr. Watson next.