Monday, July 16, 2012

American Horror Story - why i like it

After my GLEE marathon a couple of weeks ago, I had to go back to my normal self.  I can't believe I spent that much for original CDs for Glee but I'm willing to spend more for the video. Sadly, I still have to sweep the record stores to find the video.


To go back to my normal self, I finished the last of the Millennium series and felt sorry that Stieg Larsson had to die at such a young age. He did not even know the strength of Lisbeth Salander. It's sad no one can take over and continue the series. (Why is "Lisbeth" significant? Well, my favorite and most influential teacher used to call me that, dropping the first and third vowel sounds.)


Then, I watched the first season of American Horror Story. I found it normal for the creators of Glee to have thought of creating that dark series. We all have different purging rituals.


The plot stems from Amityville Horror or The Shining - where the houses seem to feed on the evil of the residents. However, what I like about this series is the wit of the dialogue and the nosey neighbor that seems to have a story of her own. Constance is more interesting than the other stories of the other characters. The dialogue takes potshots at Obama (low housing prices, bad economy, etc.), pretentious living of the rich of LA, and how therapy does not really help. More importantly, the dialogue also pokes fun at how one's current state is the result of a bad mother and a father who left. Another twist here is that ghosts can make the decision if they want to show themselves to the humans.


I love the irony, too. The setting is LA, city of angels. Angels can be devils, too.  I can also imagine the schizo state of Ryan Murphy and Brad Falchuk who have both Glee and American Horror Story running at the same time.


Nothing is sacred, it seems. 


The good thing about the series is that it ended, with all stories tucked in tightly. However, it will have a second season that will focus on Constance. I share the opinion that Jessica Lange really did a hell of a job with Constance. I can't think of any other actress who has such acting skills! 


Anyway, here are my questions: How come Moira aged unlike the other ghosts? Why are the other ghosts still all bloodied up unlike the ones in the house? What did move Tate to become a psychopath, anyway?  It can't be all just drugs and Constance. Why wasn't the house converted into a museum of some sorts considering it does have a history of murders?    How come no church thingy was ever called to cleanse the house?